Fluid Dynamics Engineer Role Overview
The SIMULIA 3DEXPERIENCE Fluid Dynamics Engineer (FMK-OC) Role provides designers and design engineers with the ability to validate fluid and thermal performance for internal/ external flows and conjugate heat transfer problems.
Cloud-based simulation software
With a CAD-enabled CFD approach, Fluid Dynamics Engineer enables users to quickly explore 100s of designs while concurrently improving product performance based on optimal flow distribution, efficient thermal management, minimal pressure losses etc.
The Role leverages industry standard RANS based finite volume Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) technology with an integrated (CAD+CFD+PLM) and fully guided user experience tailored for Designers to perform end-to-end product design efficiently on a single collaborative environment of 3DEXPERIENCE Platform.
The Role benefits from Simulation Data Science capabilities enabling all simulation activities, models, and results to be linked, traced, updated, re-used, and analyzed with ease by all impacted users.
Fluid Dynamics Engineer Capabilities
Improve designs to optimize flow distribution, minimize pressure loss and turbulence
Provide a Robust Engineering Workflow Fully Associative with SOLIDWORKS® 3D CAD
- Connecting SOLIDWORKS® 3D CAD to the cloud-based 3DEXPERIENCE platform enables your team to save and manage your SOLIDWORKS geometry on the platform directly from SOLIDWORKS and share it through a browser.
- Once on the platform, you can easily test SOLIDWORKS geometries with Fluid Dynamics Engineer relying on full simulation associativity for best-in-class designs simulation workflows.
Solve Complex CFD Problems
There are two key components to Fluid Dynamics Engineer which capture the CFD work flow processes: Fluid Model Creation and Fluid Scenario Creation.
- Fluid Model Creation allows the user to easily build high-fidelity meshes for fluid flow calculations, which accurately capture boundary layers and automatically extract the fluid domain, thus reducing the need for most manual preparation.
- Fluid Scenario Creation allows the user to define the fluid properties and the physics/boundary conditions that define the simulation scenario.
Simulation Data Science capability
- Fluid Dynamics Engineer benefits from the Simulation Data Science capability enabling all simulation activities, models, and results to be linked, traced, managed, updated, published, re-used, and analyzed with ease by all impacted users.
- If used together, Fluid Dynamics Engineer (FMK) inherits all of the values of the Multidisciplinary Optimization Engineer (MDO) allowing the user to develop re-usable, deployable simulation processes, enabling simulation value to be experienced as an integral part of your product development activities.
- Fluid Dynamics Engineer (FMK) includes embedded compute licensing allowing routine execution of one concurrent simulation job on up to 8 cores
Collaboration is built into the underlying 3DEXPERIENCE
- Data management, collaboration, and communities are all part of the global solution.
- Models built in Fluid Dynamics Engineer can be shared directly with advanced simulation tools to enable the entire simulation team to collaborate with designers.
- Simulation Results can be easily reviewed by any project stakeholders in the 3DEXPERIENCE dashboard so they become insights for technical and business decision
Fluid Dynamics Engineer Features
Validate fluid and thermal performance
Connects with CAD & PLM
With Fluid Dynamics Engineer, users can easily connect with other CAD systems.
- Tight associativity with CATIA and SOLIDWORKS means that simulation and CAD always remain synchronized even after design changes.
- Provides access to advanced simulation technology within a consistent and intuitive interface.
- As a Role on the 3DEXPERIENCE Platform, Fluid Dynamics Engineer permits a seamless switch between applications, allowing users to be product-focused: applying the right tool at the right time in their workflow processes. This allows a much greater degree of flexibility and collaboration in the design and simulation process, where geometry changes are automatically updated and made immediately available on the same platform for the analyst to obtain updated results.
Reduced complexity of CFD workflows on a variety of flow scenarios
- Internal flows such as pipes, valves, and ducts with automatic fluid domain extraction, and external flows such as buildings and vehicles with automatic creation of bounding surface of fluid domain
- The dedicated workflow guides users through the principle steps in a CFD and Conjugate Heat Transfer (CHT) simulation giving novice users the ability to set-up and successfully run such a calculation
Reduce time and gain accurate results
Accurate results for complex boundary layer problems and turbulent flows
- Hex dominate meshing with body fitted prism layers provide a higher fidelity simulation for convective flows with accurate capture of the boundary layer to in turn provide accurate wall shear stress and drag calculations
- A suite of standard turbulence models, including k-ω SST and Realizable k-ε, are available to capture the effects of turbulence, as well as a hybrid near-wall treatment to accurately predict boundary layer flows independent of near-wall mesh density
- The steady state solver significantly reduces computational time for inherently steady state flow conditions and conversely, the transient solver accurately captures time varying flow behavior such as vortex shedding
3DEXPERIENCE Works provides a Safe, Social, Connected, Informed and Structured environment for team leaders, project managers and other professionals who want to manage data on the cloud and collaborate without constraints.
Safe: Customer controlled access. Transparent cloud backup. Encrypted communication protocols. Data always safe-no overwrite, no loss of data.
Social: Integrated structured and unstructured collaboration tools enabling social innovation. Collaborate on product design or engage with your stakeholders early in product development.
Connected: Every user always connected to a single, common database. Access data anywhere, anytime, on any device. Review and markup models.
Informed: Choose from the widget library, Create and share Dashboards. Get the latest information about your product development. Always have access to your latest data.
Structured: Zero overhead data management - store and manage data across collaborative spaces, share information in communities. Find indexed data faster by using tags, custom search, etc.